Update on the Recovery of Caribbean Islands Impacted by Hurricanes in 2017
Hurricanes Irma, Jose and Maria swept over several Caribbean islands in September of 2017. This page serves as a source of factual information on the recovery of the villas, hotels and businesses on select islands. Contrary to what you may be reading, most of the islands in the Caribbean are “Open for Business” this winter. Check back for daily updates (please refresh the page to see the latest news).
See St Barths updates below. Links for information on other Islands – Anguilla | Turks and Caicos | St. Martin | Virgin Islands | Antigua
St Barthelemy (Updated Monday, February 19th).
** Latest News: Restaurant fire at the Christopher Hotel pushes back reopening date. 30 boats confirmed for Bucket Regatta. 60 boats confirmed for Les Voiles regatta. The St Barth Gourmet Festival will run from November 1-4.
- Villas: As of February 9th, over 60 percent of WIMCO’s villa portfolio is now available to rent. 32 villas are participating in the “free night” promotion for this winter. Call 1-800-449-1553 for details, or write us at email@example.com
- Read a Letter From WIMCO’s CEO about what the situation is like for people visiting the island this season
- Concierge Office: WIMCO’s St Barths concierge services office across from the airport is open, our team looks forward to welcoming you to the island.
- Restaurants: See Details
- Open now! La Plage, Le Ti St Barth, Shellona, L’il Rock, Baz Bar, Bar L’Oubli, Isola, Bagatelle, Eddy’s, Maya’s to Go, Le Select, La Cantina, Black Ginger, La Langouste, Le Bouchon, Tamarin, L’Entracte, The Hideaway, Orega, Esprit de Jean Claude, Le Village St. Jean, La Guerite, Yo Sushi Mania, 25 Quarter, Galawa (ex Pipri), Le Jardin, Isoletta, Le Repaire, Le Vietnam, Ociela St. Barth, Island Flavors, Grain de Sel, Le Piment, Fresh West Indies, Chez Joe, Le Glacier, Bistro Josephine, Au Regal, L’Ardoise, Burger Palace, Tom Beach Bar, Papa’s Pizza, La Creperie and Les Bananiers. Local bakeries open include La Petite Colombe and Boulangerie Choisy bakery.
- Re-opening in 2018 – Maya’s, Bonito (March), Nikki Beach (March), Mango (April), Le Toiny Beach Club (Spring 2018). Check back daily for updates.
- Grocery Stores: Marché U in St Jean, AMC in Gustavia, the Airport Superette in St Jean, Jojo Supermarket in Lorient, and Le Rendez Vous in St Jean are all open. Organic store, La Vie Clair in Anse des Cayes will reopen on December 7th. The Mini Mart in Lorient is still closed, and the U Express in the Oasis shopping center is still closed.
- Flights: St. Barts’ Gustav III airport (SBH) is open for commercial operations. Call WIMCO’s air department at 1-800-449-1553 to schedule flights.
- St Barth Commuter – Operating daily scheduled flights from St Martin and Guadeloupe.
- Tradewind Aviation – Operating daily flights from San Juan to St Barths, with the first flight leaving at 8am most days. Operating daily flights from Antigua to St Barths.
- Winair: Winair has 3-4 daily scheduled flights from St. Maarten (St Martin) to St. Barths.
- Air Antilles – Operating flights to St Barths from Guadeloupe.
- Air America and Paradise Air – Operating charter flights from San Juan to St Barths.
- Open now! – Tom Beach Hotel, The Sunset, Ti Morne, Auberge de Terre Neuve, Le Village St Barth, Villa Lodge 4 Epices, Baie des Anges, Les Ondines, Saline Garden, Les Sucriers, Les Ilets de la Plage and Le Nid d’Aigle. Call 1-800-449-1553 for reservations
- Reopening in 2018, dates TBD – Villa Marie (March 9th), Manapany Hotel (March 13th), Christopher Hotel (April/May), Eden Rock Hotel (December), Cheval Blanc isle de France hotel (TBD), Le Barthelemy (TBD), Le Toiny (TBD), Emeraude Plage (TBD), Tropical Hotel (TBD).
- Beaches: The Collectivité announced in November that all beaches have been cleaned, and opened to the public:
- Shops: See Full List
- Cuban Cigar (Gustavia), Le Cellier du Gouverneur (Gustavia), Ligne St. Barths (Gustavia), Hermes (Gustavia), La Cave du Port Franc (Public), Mbolo Rhum St. Barth (St. Jean).
- Events: Jimmy Buffett performed a free benefit concert on the waterfront in Gustavia on Wednesday, December 27th – details here. The St. Barths Music Festival will take place as planned in January 2018. St. Barths Bucket Regatta will run from March 15-18, 2018, link to the website here. Les Voiles de St. Barth regatta runs from April 8-14, 2018, link to their website here.
- Port: The Great Bay Express Ferry resumed its ferry service between St. Martin and St. Barths Oct. 13th. The commercial port facilities are open. The Cruise company
- Roads: Roadways are open for all vehicles in all areas of the island. The gas station in St Jean in open.
- Electricity: Electricity is restored in all areas of the island. Internet service is now widely available. Wi-fi hot spots have been installed. Cellular phone service is widely available
- Water: City water has been restored in all neighborhoods
- Health Services: The hospital in St. Barths is fully functional. The community services center of Saint-Barthélemy is open.
- Boat services: Boat charter companies Jicky Marine and Master-Ski Pilou are open
To see updates from other Caribbean islands – click here – Anguilla | Turks and Caicos | St. Martin | Virgin Islands | Antigua